Root canal treatment, or endodontic therapy, helps to save your severely damaged or infected tooth. Despite its reputation, modern advancements in dentistry have made this procedure relatively comfortable and effective. WPD Dental Group is famous for Koreatown root canals, digital dentistry, emergency dentistry, full mouth reconstruction, and more.
The Need for Root Canal Treatment
The outermost layer of a tooth, the enamel, is a hard protective shell. Beneath the enamel lies a softer tissue called dentin, which contains a chamber housing the pulp – a delicate bundle of nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissue.
When a tooth is injured, cracked, or affected by severe decay, bacteria can penetrate through the enamel and dentin, reaching the pulp. This can lead to infection, pain, and, ultimately, the death of the pulp.
Symptoms of Pulp Infection
Signs indicating you need a root canal treatment
- Severe toothache while biting or chewing
- Persistent sensitivity while eating hot or cold food
- Swelling and tenderness in the surrounding gums
- A small bump on the gums, often with drainage
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Persistent bad taste in the mouth
The Root Canal Procedure
- Diagnosis: Your dentist uses X-rays to identify the damage extent and whether a root canal is needed.
- Anesthesia: Local anesthesia numbs the area and allows you to feel comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Access: A small opening is made in the tooth’s crown to access the pulp chamber.
- Cleaning and Shaping: The infected or dead pulp is carefully removed, and the tooth’s interior is disinfected, cleaned, and shaped using specialized tools.
- Filling: After cleaning and shaping, the now-empty root canals are filled with a biocompatible gutta-percha material to seal them and prevent further infection.
- Restoration: In many cases, a tooth that has undergone a root canal will need additional protection due to its increased vulnerability. A crown or filling helps to restore the strength and function of your tooth.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- Pain Relief
- Tooth Preservation
- Aesthetic Improvement
- Prevents Infection Spread
Recovery and Aftercare
Mild discomfort is experienced for some days, which can be managed with recommended or over-the-counter pain relievers. Follow your dentist’s instructions for care, including proper oral hygiene practices and any recommended dietary restrictions.
Root canal treatment is a vital procedure that saves teeth from further damage while relieving pain and infection. Modern dentistry has changed this procedure into a relatively comfortable experience; with proper care, the restored tooth can last a lifetime.
If you’re experiencing persistent tooth pain or discomfort, consult a Koreatown dentist to determine if root canal treatment is the right solution for you.