As your body begins the menopause transition, your ovaries stop producing estrogen and progesterone. These conflicts imbalance the hormonal level causing symptoms like hot flashes, vaginal dryness, night sweats, mood swings, etc. So, HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) is used for balancing hormonal levels as it effectively relieves some of the menopause symptoms. HRT can be used in many medical conditions but is widely used for menopausal women.
Before opting for HRT treatment, you must consult with your doctor whether you are in the right condition for getting this treatment or not. You can also visit HRT san antonio and get guidance from an experienced professional who has specialized in menopause treatment.
Types of HRT
- Estrogen Therapy (ET)
This therapy contains estrogen only. The lowest doses of estrogen are needed to relieve the symptoms of menopause. This therapy is only used for women who have had hysterectomy, i.e., removal of the uterus.
- Estrogen/Progesterone Therapy (EPT)
This therapy contains both estrogen and progesterone, also known as combined hormone therapy. It is used for women who have a risk of getting uterine cancer. You can avoid this therapy if you have had a hysterectomy.
Benefits of HRT
- HRT effectively works on reducing menopause symptoms such as mood swings, night sweats, vaginal dryness and also improves sleep.
- It will prevent bone loss as it is a common problem to lose bone once a woman gets into the menopause stage.
- It will also reduce the risk of heart disease, but this benefit depends on the individual’s risk factors.
- In some women, it improves moods and mental well-being.
Risks of HRT
- Long-term use of HRT can cause the risk of breast cancer, especially in older women who are above 55. However, this risk only increases when combined HRT is taken for a longer period.
- Estrogen HRT can also cause the risk of blood clots in veins.
- Women who smoke can also have the risk of getting a stroke.
- HRT increases the chances of getting gallbladder disease.
- Some of the individuals may experience mood swings and irritability, while some of the individuals experience weight gain, acne, and pigmentation.
Some precautions to consider while undergoing HRT:
- It is important to consult a doctor and get proper guidance about your condition first before starting the hormone replacement treatment.
- The choice of HRT type should be implemented after consulting with your doctor and knowing all the benefits and side effects that may be caused.
- Do not miss your follow-up appointments with your doctor, and get a response about your hormonal levels.
- Do not smoke and consume alcohol while undergoing this therapy, as it might cause side effects in your HRT treatments.